Listen Live

HomeNewsEast Kootenay NewsCollege of the Rockies adds co-curricular activities to student records

College of the Rockies adds co-curricular activities to student records

The College of the Rockies has introduced a co-curricular record to document student experiences outside of a traditional classroom setting.

“Co-curricular experiences contribute to students’ skill development, personal growth, and professional advancement while enhancing their academic journey,” said Robin Hicks, Vice President of Academics.

“Their co-curricular record documents both paid and volunteer experiences and the skills students developed through them.”

With this new system, college students can access opportunities that match their personal interests or branch out to discover new passions.

- Advertisement -

“We want to validate all of our students’ learning experiences and efforts and have developed a comprehensive list of activities including on-campus paid positions, volunteer roles, leadership opportunities, and self-development programs,” said Hicks.

College officials say co-curricular learning complements academic learning and helps build important career skills.

“Students can enhance skills such as effective communication; leadership development; collaboration and teamwork; creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship; health and wellbeing; social responsibility and civic engagement; professionalism; personal development; sustainability and globalization; digital literacy; research and analysis as well as contributing to and advancing Truth and Reconciliation,” explained Hicks.

After their co-curricular activity, students can complete a reflection form that will include up to three competencies they gained through the process.

Once it is validated, it will get added to a student’s Experience Record and will be available in a similar way as academic transcripts.

Be the first to know! Don’t miss out on breaking news and daily updates in your area. Sign up to MyEastKootenayNow News Alerts.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading